Sunday, July 31, 2011

Memory Lane

On our way to Wolf Creek Pass and Pagosa Springs, Dave couldn't resist turning in to Big Meadows. Dave's grandparents took him and his siblings camping and fishing there every summer.

The summer we were engaged I got to join the Franklin clan for a weekend. We've been back about a dozen times since then with our kids, family, and friends.We camped when I was pregnant with Caleb. The next year, we hung a johnny-jump-up in the tree to keep our 6-mo. old amused, and borrowed a baby backpack to hike with him around the lake. On Laurel's first visit, she was nearly a year, but not yet walking, so I spent the week trying to keep her from crawling through the dirt. A few years later, Caleb and Harrison were able to climb the Big Rock and leave their sister stranded, just as Dave and his brothers had done with Jennifer. That might have been the year that Caleb, who NEVER wet his bed, had an accident in his sleeping bag on night one of a four-night stay. (OK, not all the memories are good).

 The road wasn't paved, but we took it anyway. On the way, we spotted this deer wandering on the road.
Loud pipes save lives. This guy heard us coming and had no desire to become a Heritage Softtail hood ornament.
 The campground was closed! Good thing we hadn't planned on staying there. I vaguely recalled seeing a notice that it would be closed in 2011 when we were last there with our friends the Kraemer's in 2009. It will be open next year after campground renovations are complete. They're probably making the sites bigger to better accommodate the RVs. I imagine a new sign is on order as well.
 Ahh! There's the lake. Several people were fishing.

I take a moment to enjoy the view. Not sure what Dave was looking at.
 Here's proof that we were there!
Dave's grandpa Earl, who died in 1993, caught many trout out of this lake, and he loved this place more than any other place on earth. I had to take one last shot of Dave in front of the lake that hold so many good memories for him, his family, and for ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.