Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Hostel and a Hike

I'd been to Salida several times before, but it wasn't until last year when we had to get our 4-wheeling licenses, that we actually got off the main (ugly) drag and down to the cute historic district by the river.

So I was pleased that the hostel Dave found for us to stay in was in the historic district, just a block from the city park that borders the river. This was the charming street we found after our long day of travel through western Kansas.
While Dave called John, the owner of the hostel, I took some photos.

This is the hostel, painted fun and funky colors throughout.



We enjoyed the cooler temps and the short walk to a restaurant that John recommended.
In the middle of the mountain in the background is the "S" for Salida.

It was nice to see people out enjoying the evening, after coming Wichita where people are hibernating next to their ACs to escape 100-plus temperatures.

On our walk, I notices the "S" on the mountain, and also what looked like a trail going to a lookout tower. Back at the hostel, I asked John about it. He showed me a map, told me how to pick up the trail. He said the hike would take a little over an hour. I was in.

So, at 6 a.m. (only 7 a.m. Wichita time) I got up and headed for the trail. I was a little confused on where it actually started, but I saw a guy with a marathon tech shirt (good sign!) and his recquisite dog (why do Coloradoans always have a dog or two in their vehicles?) in the parking lot, and he pointed me in the right direction.
On the side of the hill about halfway up, the sun just touching the tops of the mountains looking to the west.

Like lots of hikes, it was a lot more involved that it looked from the ground.

View from the top.

I made it to the lookout tower, but didn't bring my Sharpie to mark my accomplishment. I should have had a jogger who was there also take my photo for proof that I made it to the top. I guess you'll just have to trust that I'm the one who took this photo and not 'Dave.      
 
Here's the "S!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.