Friday, July 29, 2011

Dave Nearly Loses His Sole in Durango

I've got to skip ahead a bit on our trip because I can't wait to write about our evening in Durango. We decided to wing it and didn't book a hotel until we got into town at about 8 p.m. We found a vacancy (not an easy task) at an acceptable Knight's Inn. It was a little ways away from the historic downtown district, but Durango has a trolley, so we decided to take it.
This free trolley will take you downtown. 



Our hotel gal told us the trolley stopped running at 10 p.m., but we decided we could walk the mile and a half back. We got dropped off and enjoyed window shopping and checking out the night life.

After listening to a band for a while (more on that in a following blog), we decided to walk back to our hotel.
On the way, we saw a cool old Chevy Suburban,
and an old Honda Civic.
and this great rooster in front of a neat coffee shop in a renovated old home. That's when it all happened. Dave's trusty Keen sandal, which had lasted for four years, became a flapper. The heel portion of the sole came unglued, and it flapped with every step.

I was nearly lying on the sidewalk from laughing so hard. But we kept going, Dave flapping every time he lifted his left foot.

Then the flapper flopped into the street, making me laugh even harder. Dave had lost his sole in Durango.


Dave says he thought, WWJD? What Would Jarrod Do? Referring, of course, to my Hillsboro High School friend known for always carrying a Louis L'Amour paperback in his back pocket.

So, Dave picked up his sole and stuck it in his back pocket and continued on to the motel
with his new moccasin.

2 comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.