Friday, November 22, 2019

Nativity Set

Okay, I admit it. When I go to Sam's or Costco, I am sorely tempted to buy something for my granddaughter Rose (who is nine months old today!) I am a sucker for the Carter's play outfits and footed jammies (they are on CLEARANCE!) and the picture books.

Usually my husband, Dave, is along, so usually he talks me out of these purchases. Last month, however, I insisted.

Sam's had just stocked their seasonal aisle with Christmas decor and toys, and I saw this cute children's nativity set. I really liked this set because it looks similar to breakable ones, but it isn't. 

I bought it. 

But not as a gift for Rose. I plan to keep it at my house, so I can play with it with her and any other grandchildren in the future.

When my daughter Laurel came home from college the next weekend with a couple friends, I excitedly showed her my new "Grandma" purchase.

We opened the box and exclaimed with delight at the figures of Mary, Joseph, the three wise men, an angel, and the little baby Jesus. 

Laurel's friend, who had been watching with interest, said, "I don't really know the story."
She hadn't ever gone to church, she told us.

So how else would anyone know the nativity story? I wondered. Aside from the Charlie Brown Christmas special, even the classic Christmas TV programs don't really mention Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus. And it isn't discussed in schools.

Even kids growing up attending church every Sunday might not know all the details of the Christmas story. 

So Laurel and I held up each figurine in turn and explained the cast of characters. We told her that God so loved the world that he developed an elaborate plan to have Mary, a virgin, give birth to the Son of God who would 33 years later be sacrificed for the sins of the world.

Laurel also told her that she should watch "The Nativity" which we own on DVD. Maybe she will make that happen. I hope so.

Tonight I babysat Rose so her parents could go out for dinner. We went to the basement and I took the set out of the box. When she grabbed the angel I told her, "the angel told the Shepherds that baby Jesus was born." When she grabbed a wise man, I said, "The wise men were so happy that Jesus was born, they brought him gifts:  gold, Frankincense, and myrrh." And when she grabbed baby Jesus I said, "No, no, give that to Gigi," because baby Jesus is a choking hazard.

But next time maybe I will have a chance to tell her more about baby Jesus, and his mother Mary who yielded her will and reputation to God's divine plan, and his adopted Daddy Joseph who listened to God in a dream, and all the rest. 

Because I want her to know the story, and its Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.