Sunday, November 21, 2010

Turkey Trot Thanks

Turkey Trot 2010. Kristen and I ran 10 miles in 1 hr., 29 min.
I ran the Turkey Trot yesterday! All 10 miles, and my knee didn't bother me a bit. For those of you who read my October post "Miracles and Marathons," about my knee injury and how I was praying for healing, you'll know how excited and relieved I am about this.

I wanted to make sure I blogged about my recovery, because I don't want to be like the nine lepers Jesus healed (Luke 17) who didn't come back to say "Thank you." I want to be like the 10th leper. While on their way to the priest, per Jesus' instructions, all 10 lepers were cleansed. Nine kept going, but one immediately made an about face back to Jesus, and threw himself at his feet, thanking him.

I find it interesting that Jesus didn't heal the lepers immediately. He told them to go show the priest--and he hadn't done anything! They had to walk in their leprous state, stepping out in faith that when they got to the priest they wouldn't be charged with spreading their disease, but, in fact, be healed.

I've had to step out in faith, bit by bit. I ran the last mile of the Prairie Fire Marathon (held on 10/10/10) with Kristen to support her in the finish. In the few weeks after that, I ran short distances slowly, and increased a little bit every day. I've felt a few strange twinges in my knee. I've iced it regularly. Three weeks ago, I started running with Kristen again. Cautiously. But it went OK, aside from being out of breath from laying off for three months.

So we ran the Turkey Trot yesterday. The weather was clear, cool, and not too windy. I got to run with Kristen the entire way (she nearly didn't get to run, but an accompanying gig she was committed to got canceled). Every mile was a struggle, but I kept going. Dave and Laurel cheered me on at mile seven and near the end. Kristen and I made our goal of under 90 minutes. And I am going back to Jesus' feet to say, "Thanks, Lord, for healing."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.