Friday, June 29, 2012

Windows of opportunity

"I need to be home when they get back or I'll miss my window."

Last summer, my cousin was explaining why she would need to leave our family gathering a bit early. Her husband and 13-year-old son would be returning from a week-long boy scout camp, and she wanted to be there when they arrived.

But what was the window she was referring to?

She explained. Her son, like most adolescent boys, doesn't relish giving her long detailed accounts of anything. However, she knew he would be most excited and willing to talk right when he got home. Wait a few hours and he would be immersed in his video games or out with friends and back in his normal life. Camp would already be a dim memory. That time right when he arrived home was her window of opportunity to connect with her son.

Thanks, Joan, for your explanation on windows. Harrison and Laurel are coming back from camp today. I want to meet them at the bus so I can hear all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.