Friday, July 30, 2010

The Crash

We got to O'Haver Lake late Friday night, so we took two good rides with our four-wheelers on Saturday. Sunday morning we packed a lunch and prepared to take a long ride. Before we left, I led a little five-minute devotional on Psalm 121, one of my favorites. After camping and riding around in the mountains, I thought it was appropriate.
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
where does my help come from?

2 My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
We'd gone over a pass and were working our way back when we came to a mountain road that was hilly, wide and smooth. I was riding my dad's Arctic Cat with Laurel on the seat behind me. At the bottom of a hill was a washed-out culvert. I decided to go to the edge of the road where it wasn't washed out as bad, but was going too fast and swerved off the road.
The mountain wasn't super-steep at this point, but it still was a decline. The left front of the Arctic cat smashed into a tree.
I was launched forward, but my foot got entangled with Laurel's and the handlebars. I hit my head on the ground/vegetation at the right of the four-wheeler. Laurel pretty much remained on the four-wheeler.
When we came to a complete stop I remember hearing Laurel from up above me saying, "Mom, are you OK?" I couldn't see her because of my position, and I think I may have blacked out for a second, but I was so thankful to hear her voice.
"I think I'm OK, but my leg really hurts," I told her.
We got our legs untangled from under the handlebars. I thought mine might be broken, but realized it wasn't.
Laurel, 9, was amazingly calm in this crisis. She climbed back up to the road to look for help. I climbed up a little later too, and we were sitting by the road when the guys came back looking for us.
I'd run over a fallen log right before hitting the tree, so the quad had to be lifted up over that and raised about five feet to get back up to the road. Dave enlisted the help of a couple guys who passed by, so they and Caleb and Harrison lifted while Dave used his quad with a tow strap attached to pull it back up to the road. And it worked!
We tried starting the quad. And it worked! The left front headlight was dangling, the plastic smashed, and the rack bent and broken, but mechanically it seems fine.
We were still a good ways from camp, so I drove it back. I had a little trouble shifting with my hurt leg, so Laurel rode with Dave.
The next verse of the Psalm is
3 He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
My foot getting entangled with the handlebars probably saved me from a massive head injury. I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Karen! I am grateful that you're okay too! How frightening, but amazing how He was watching over the two of you. And it is awesome how beautifully illustrated the Psalm was in your weekend.
    It's crazy, but I too have a Psalm story that's similar in some ways... When Philip and I were newlyweds we went on a canoeing trip with the Harts and I almost drowned! Psalm 18:4-6,16-19 describes so much of what I experienced and God's goodness in saving me.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.