Saturday, February 23, 2019

What's in a Name?

I have a little rosebud! My son, Caleb, and his fiancé, June, had their baby yesterday, February 22, 2019. Her name is Rose Elizabeth Franklin.

Although I agree with Shakespeare's Juliet when she says:

"What is in a name? That which we call a rose by any other would smell as sweet," I am still glad that my first grandchild is named Rose Elizabeth.

June says she has always loved the name Rose. She had a doll named Rose. Rose is her favorite saint. Even as little girl she planned to name her future daughter Rose.

So when she and Caleb were talking about boy or girl names, she said if the baby was a girl she wanted to name her Rose.

Caleb was stunned. "You know, that's my grandma's name, Rosella. Her brothers called her Rose. That's perfect!"

September 2018- Celebrating at College Hill Creamery after the sonogram when we found out they were having a girl.
To me what makes it even more special is Rose is my mom's first great-grandchild. What a wonderful bond for the first and fourth generation to share a name.

Being born in February, the month containing Valentine's Day, is also fitting for a for a girl named after its signature flower.

June's middle name, Elizabeth, was a family name, so she and Caleb used it for baby Rose as well.

My mother's maiden name was Ediger, so she gave us middle names that started with "E." Mine happens to be Elizabeth.

My maiden name was Epp, so if I was to continue the tradition I would need to use middle names starting with "E" as well. I wasn't inclined to do that (how many good "E" names are there, after all?), so Caleb's middle name became Mark, after his daddy David Mark.

But for our second son we really wanted the middle name to be after Dave's Grandpa Earl Franklin, so Harrison's middle name became Earl, which happened to start with an "E." So then with our first and only girl I decided she could have my middle name, and it would start with an "E," so we named her Laurel Elizabeth.

Each Christmas as I read the nativity story I love more and more the way Mary the mother of Jesus finds comfort, companionship, and inspiration during her pregnancy with her also-pregnant and wise Aunt Elizabeth, who becomes the mother of John the Baptist.

So with the name Rose Elizabeth, this little girl baby from the start feels very much like she belongs in our family. And to me, nothing could be sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.