Sunday, November 16, 2014

My journey to hysterectomy

At a well-woman check up this summer, my doctor noted I had an enlarged uterus. A sonogram revealed two benign cysts, called fibroids, The largest measured 8 cm, which is bigger than a baseball. Fibroids grow during the influx of estrogen that happens during every menstrual cycle. Once a woman goes through menopause, the fibroids will shrink to about a third of their size.

At 46, I am not too far away from 51, the average age women go through menopause. However, my mom and grandmother both were closer to 60 when they stopped, so I was looking at most likely 10 years or more for my baseball to become a softball or (yikes!) volleyball.

The other problem I have is menstrual migraines, also handed down to me from my mother and grandmother. Since entering my 40s I have been getting increasingly severe monthly headaches, caused by the fluctuating hormone levels during my cycle. Although there are no guarantees that removing my ovaries will eliminate migraines, it seemed like a risk worth taking. The possibility of skipping 120 debilitating three-day headaches over the next 10 years makes me smile.

The decision wasn't easy, though. I believe God made our bodies to function pretty well, and altering anything is risky. When I was debating whether to have  my ovaries removed, my doctor mentioned a trying a Lupron shot, which would put my body into menopause. Then we could see how my body would react, and if the headaches would go away.

Lupron is expensive, I found out, around $800 a dose. The doctor's office had to jump through hoops to clear it with my insurance. Then the Aetna drug people called me to make sure I wanted it before they shipped it. On the day I was to have the shot, I looked Lupron up on WebMD. Numerous patient reviews said the side effects were horrible. Most were taking it to relieve pain from endometriosis, and even the women who were getting help from the drug still weren't sure it was worth it. Several reviewers expressed regret for ever taking it and begged other women to reconsider.

I'd read enough John Grisham books about irresponsible drug companies to be completely freaked out by that, and I cancelled my appointment to get the shot. In the following weeks Aetna robo-called me numerous times, wanting me to refill my prescription. No thank you.

So I went into surgery on Friday with no real guarantees that this will help my headaches, although I think it will. I will no longer have the discomfort from the fibroids.

Since we are self-employed, we've had bare-bones insurance for years. We were forced to switch with ObamaCare last year. Right now it looks like it will be a blessing. From what I can tell our portion of the bill will be manageable.

I delayed having the surgery until we were through with our regular lawn care for the season. I've been looking forward to my eight weeks of recovery. I checked out Middlemarch by George Eliot (Mary Anne Evans), an 800-page classic novel found on many "must read" lists. I also plan to blog and set our business up on QuickBooks.

Right now the other employees of Franklin Lawn Service are getting ready for snow removal. I think I will take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.