Friday, November 23, 2018

Grateful Heart

I am thankful for my Mom. Yesterday for Thanksgiving she showed up at my house with two pumpkin pies and a carrot cake. She helped set out all the food on the island. She made the gravy.

When the meal was finished, she washed the dishes and Kathy dried (thanks, Kathy!) 

She talked with her grandkids and soon-to-be granddaughter June, plus my in-laws and June's parents too.

This was my mom's first Thanksgiving without my dad. He passed away April 6, 2018. They had been married 56 years.

During my birthday Mother-daughter getaway trip this past September we made signs. Mom's has become her motto for this new season of widowhood: "Begin each day with a grateful heart." She hung it in her living room where she is sure to see it every morning.


She is choosing to be grateful for the life they had, and be gratetful for all she still has.

Dad used to always drive, because he liked to and she didn't, but she drove by herself from Hillsboro to the big city of Wichita. She has decided she likes coming straight down Broadway from Newton instead of getting on the speeding interstate, and that's fine.

I am so proud of how well she is navigating this unfamiliar road. This year I lost my dad, but I am so grateful I still have her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.