Tuesday, July 17, 2018

My days are numbered

I woke up thinking about "numbered days" so in my quiet time I am on the porch listening to the thunder and occasional bursts of rain and looking up the psalm.

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." Psalm 90:12.

Today I am scheduled for a mammogram. That always makes me pause and contemplate the "what ifs." My family history includes breast cancer, so having my numbered days cut shorter by it seems more a possibility to me than it might to others.

My dad died this past April from colon cancer. I have been thinking about how he used his 78 years, especially after this past weekend's family gathering, which was the first time seeing all of his siblings since the funeral.

After being forced to retire due to health reasons, my dad found new purpose for his life in people. He numbered his days that included doctor's visits, chemo treatments and hospital stays by learning the names of all of the receptionists, nurses, technicians, and doctors who attended him, and then remembering them the next week.

I am counting the days to my 50th birthday on September 10  which is approaching at an alarming rate.

As a way to make the day count, I am inviting friends to join me in the Race for Freedom on Sept 8, a 5K (3.1 mile) race or walk put on by ICT SOS. Proceeds will go to organizations that are fighting human trafficking right here in Wichita.

The race starts in Indian Hills close to my house, and part of the course is on the river path that I run regularly.

In April my book club read "Girls Burn Brighter" which addressed human trafficking. After reading this heart-wrenching story about two girls caught in its web, I and others were motivated to do something. But what?

Using my birthday to encourage others to join me in this race is my small first step. Because my days are numbered and I want them to count.

To join my team, go to race4freedom.com and join Karen50. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.