Saturday, June 2, 2018

River Fest Posters

Dave and I have gone to the Wichita River Festival since before we were married. I  love looking at the past festival posters lined up along Century II.

1988 was our first. It had a colorful bird-like design for the poster with a white background (I will have to check if they have earlier ones further around the building). I blew off studying for mynfinals at Tabor College and we spent the entire day sunning on the riverbank watching the bathtub races.

1991 was fun because I was married and working as a student in WSU'S University Relations department, and we were in charge of an event called Talentfest.

1993 was memorable because it had record-setting rainfall during the festival, and ironically, the theme was "Splish, splash, a springtime bath," or something like that and the poster featured puddles. Dave's grandpa was sick in the hospital during that time, but we were able to attend our favorite events, and the festival had wrapped up before he died on May 22 (that's when it was earlier).

In 1996 Dave, baby Caleb and I had a picnic on a hill in A. Price Woodard Park for my very first Mother's Day.

In 2005 we entered a float with our friends at the Twin River Club. The poster featured a mermaid, and Marcia Hatfield happened to have a mermaid costume that her daughter Emily had outgrown, so she offered it to Laurel. Why yes, she would love to be a mermaid in the Sundown Parade!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.