Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Jesus surrounds ESU

My daughter Laurel graduated from high school, as Grad Images so kindly reminded me via the USPS recently with this opportunity to purchase these pictures in her cap and gown (as if I hadn't already filled all of the memory in my phone with pics of her at various graduation events).

I am excited about Laurel going to college this fall, especially since her brothers chose the U.S. Air Force and Coast Guard. This will be my first time paging through the summer Bed Bath & Beyond circular and actually needing to purchase a cute shower caddy, XL twin sheets, and a turquoise trash can!

I have been concerned, though. I went to Tabor, a Christian college (which my husband, Dave, who also attended, often compares to a church camp, and in some aspects, he is right). She is going to Emporia State University, a secular school.

I want her to grow in her Christian walk, and I want her to be in the center of God's will.

At the last ESU campus visit day different clubs set up booths. I made sure we visited the Baptist Student Union booth. I met the director and was pleased he knew David Mitchell, our pastor. Since then I have learned that several of Emporia's BSU students are serving overseas on mission trips this summer, another plus in my book.

On our first visit our sophomore tour guide pointed out a house by campus that another Christian group uses every Friday to serve spaghetti lunches. She said she never missed, and it seemed to be a popular event.

So I was feeling a little better about sending my girl to live among the wolves (actually, hornets. "Stingers Up!").

Then one day a postcard from the university caught my eye. In big letters it said "ESU." E-S-U. Why did that sound so familiar?

It hit me. Put a "J" at thr beginning, add an "S" at the end. J-E-S-U-S. Jesus surrounds ESU.

Yes, God is everywhere. There is no place that we can run from his presence. Still, I made this sign to remind me that when my girl is away at ESU, Jesus will be all around her.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
I am a freelance writer. I also work full time with our business, Franklin Lawn Service. My husband, David, and I met as students at Tabor College and we have been married for almost 20 years. We have three great kids, Caleb, Harrison, and Laurel.